Have you ever wanted to start your own blog? What if we told you that starting a blog is much easier than you may think? Find Your Influence offers the following simple steps and tips to create your own.
Step 1: Find Your Brand
Before you start, determine what your blog will look like and how you want to be portrayed to your audience.
Ask yourself these questions:
- If someone asked you, “What is your story?” what would you say?
- What five words describe what your social media accounts say about you?
- What audience are you wanting to reach?
- What sets you apart from other bloggers or influencers?
- What is your mission and vision?
After answering these questions, you should begin to envision what your blog will look like and the purpose for creating it. These are also questions that you can continually ask yourself because the answers may change over time.
Step 2: Pick a Content Management Platform
Deciding on a content management platform to use should be simple, but you want to make sure you do your research to find the one that’s the best fit for you.
Here are some of the top platforms bloggers use today:
Step 3: Decide on Your Blog Name
The name is going to be one of the first things people see. Find one that means something to you. Follow these steps to come up with a name for your blog:
- Brainstorm ideas
- Google different names to see if they’re taken
- Narrow down to three options
- Go to GoDaddy.com and see if your domain name is available
- Purchase your domain and connect to your site
Step 4: Design your Site
Start creating your blog and putting your personal touch on every aspect. Follow these tips for starting the design of your website:
- Take a look at other bloggers for inspiration
- Make it you! Put your personality into the design.
- Add categories for easy navigation
- Make sure all your social media platforms are linked on your home page
- Make an About page and a Contact page
Step 5: Promote your Blog
After all is said and done, now it’s time to share your thoughts to the world.
- Publish your first blog post
- Add your website link in your Instagram bio
- Create a story/ post telling your Instagram followers about your new blog
Once your blog is in place and you’re comfortable with posting regular content, consider writing a blog about your successes and challenges to help future bloggers get started too!
Especially written for Find Your Influence by Renee Ware, student intern, Grand Canyon University.